Each Business and/or Activity, which has significant impact to the environment, should have EIA. EIA is compiled by the Initiator on the planning phase of a Business and/or Activity, where such location of such Business and/or Activity Plan should be in accordance with Spatial Planning.
EIA is a study on significant impact of a planned business and/or activity on the environment, which is required for a process of decision-making on the implementation of business and/or activity.
The selection on the type of business and/or activity, which should have EIA, is regulated in Regulation of State Minister of Environment No. 05 of 2012 on the Type of Business and/or Activity Plan, which is Obligatory to Have Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA). The Guideline of EIA compilation refers to Regulation of State Minister of Environment No. 16 of 2012 on the Guideline for Environmental Document Compilation, Appendix I, II and III.
EIA document consist of 3 (three) documents, namely:
- Terms of Reference;
- Environmental Impact Statement (EIS); and
- Environmental Management Plan and Environmental Monitoring Plan (RKL-RPL).
The understandings of such documents, which are summarized from Government Regulation No. 27 of 2012, are:
- Terms of Reference are a scope of study on environmental impact statement, which is a result of scoping.
- Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) is an accuracy and in-depth study on significant impact of a Business and/or Activity plan.
- Environmental Management Plan, which is hereinafter referred to RKL, is an impact management effort towards the environment, which is emerged due to business and/or activity plan.
- Environmental Monitoring Plan, which is hereinafter referred to RPL, is an environmental component monitoring effort that affected by the impact due to business and/or activity plan. �
After EIA is compiled by Initiator of a Business and/or Activity Plan, then EIA is used as a basis for the process of Environmental Feasibility Decision (SKKL) or Environmental Impropriety Decision by Minister of Environment, Governor, or Head of Regency/Mayor based on his/her authority.
The initiator can request to Compiler Service Provider Institution (LPJP) of EIA document, who has obtained a registration from Ministry of Environment (KLH). The study team of EIA compiler is required to have competency certificate as EIA compiler and expert in his/her field. The requirement of certification is regulated in Regulation of State Minister of Environment No. 7 of 2010 on Competency Certificate of Environmental Impact Assessment Document Compiler and the Requirement for Competency Training Institution of Environmental Impact Assessment Document Compiler.